Stuart Horsfield is a writer and member of the Senior Leadership Team for These Football Times, where he also hosts These Football Times podcast. For his day job he lectures in sports and on a Football Coaching degree program.
He just wrote his first book, it’s about the greatest team never to win a World Cup and some would argue they were better than most teams who’ve actually won it! That magical 1982 Brazilian side. The book is titled: 1982 Brazil, The Glorious Failure.
Follow Stuart Horsfield on Twitter: @loxleymisty44
Check out These Football Times
- How that 1982 Brazil side influenced Stuart.
- The beauty of their game and which other sides compare stylistically.
- On the atmosphere leading up to the 1982 World Cup as an England fan.
- On being a football supporter vs a club supporter.
- On bringing the memories of a 10 year to the book as an adult.
- Mystique in old football playing styles vs modern football’s homogeneity.
- How he set out to write the book.
- How the book is structured.
- Interviewing Abraham Klein and Alexandre Chivadze.
- Shout to Steven Scragg(@Scraggy_74): A Tournament Frozen in Time and Where the Cool Kids Hung Out.
- Surprises that arose from the book research.
- His views on 1982 Brazil side before and after the book.
- “The day football died” narrative explained.
- Conversation with Patrick Barclay(@paddybarclay)
- Conversation with Juca Kfouri(@BlogdoJuca)
- Following the bizarre group format in the 1982 World Cup.
- Thoughts as the tournament progressed and the Italian team.
- Abraham Klein’s accounts.
- Views on traditional World Cup winners vs challengers
- What about the big clubs, big money and Financial Fair Play?
- Technological changes in the game.
- Shootout questions with Stuart:
- Top 3 players ever.
- Who would Stuart have a drink with in the history of the game?
- Top 3 matches he would attend in the history of the game.
- One change he would make to any match in history.
- What club would Stuart support if not Hull City?
- Top 3 football books:
- Goalkeepers are different by Brian Glanville
- Dr. Sócrates by Andrew Downie(@adowniebrazil)
- Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson(@jonawils)
- Podcast recommendations:
- These Football Times Podcast
- That Peter Crouch Podcast